t h e m a y f i l e s is foremost a family blog, chronicling everyday life. Life including natural, healthy eating (with recipes thrown in at random), home educating (with ideas popping up sporadically), an attempt to homestead on .2 acres (with very meager yields), raising 3 of 4 children with a rare genetic disorder, and lots of highly personal family triumphs and failures. You may also find an eclectic array of musings on politics, exercise, sewing, emergency preparedness, backyard chickens, and religion. This blog isn't a campaign to glorify anyone or anything. Just simply a record.


One More Marathon Under the Belt

Not the race I visualized for myself. In fact, in all honesty, it was extremely disappointing. I came away with a PR of 3:27, so that is a token to take away with me. I always feel like the end of races are my strong point. I can turn it on and zoom past everyone. Not so, yesterday. Here is a breakdown of the weekend.

I was still smiling in my hotel room, because I hadn't gone to bed yet. The moment I laid down, it suddenly became apparent our hotel was within yards of a railroad. So all night I listened to trains, blare their whistles and idle. Why do they blow their whistles anyway?
Out to eat at "Roosters" the night before. Callista looks so happy...but she actually had one of her most difficult days in memory. On days like Friday, I think she was sent to teach me patience.

We went for a little family bike ride Friday night. We rode the 3 miles of the river trail. Miles 22-25. It was a beautiful trail. It didn't feel beautiful while I was running.
The family waiting at the 1/2 way mark, Eden Park. Callista stayed entertained pushing Emmett and Ellery in the stroller.
I was perfectly on track for a 3:18 at the 1/2. I had an awesome cheering crowd. My little family as well as my parents.
I felt like I hadn't even exerted myself yet.
Mile 14 brought the only hill. A piece of cake. I blasted up and still felt awesome. At mile 16 I felt something strange happening to my feet. It was like I was running on rocks. Within 3 miles the pain was almost unbearable. I went from running 7:35's to 7:50's until mile 24. Thankfully at mile 23 Brent was there. He jogged with me for a moment...I said "You better not leave. I might stop." So in his street clothes he ran the last 3 miles with me.

By mile 24 my body was really shutting down. No matter how hard I pumped my arms I couldn't move faster than 9 minute miles, those last 2. It was extremely frustrating.
The last mile the finish line was in sight the whole time. It was brutal. It felt like hours. I tried to get the crowd cheering to help me along.
Apparently my sister and her whole family and my parent and children were screaming my name, cheering me on...I have no recollection.
I crossed the finish line and collapsed into the arms of the race officials and Brent. I couldn't put any weight on my feet. I began to get chilled. They took me to the medic tent. My temp was down to 95 degrees. It took about 30 minutes to finally get my temp back up to normal. I think my body must have been in shock. The same thing happens everytime after I have a baby. My temperature plummets. I start to shake. Finally I warmed up and they released me.

In the picture below, the nurses knew I was feeling better, because I was going over all my splits on my Garmin and griping about my final 6 miles. It was the proverbial 6 miles at the end. I know what that is now.
I keep second guessing my race. Should I have gone out faster? Were my shoes too old? I don't think I will run this race again. I will do Boston next year. For pleasure only. My next race for time will be St. George. But probably not until after I have another baby.

Ellery did great in the Kids Mile Run. The announcer heard us calling her name at the finish and gave her a personal cheer and accolades over the loud speaker. It was really fun and special for her.
Here we are with our "gold medals" as the girls would say.
She was so proud of herself. It was really cute.

Callista opted out. A little young still. I am so grateful to all my family for the wonderful support. I truly couldn't have done it without them.

My Mom and Dad...
My sister and her family...
My amazing husband and children... Emmett even snuggled with me for 10 minutes at the end. That in itself made it worth it!
And finally all the support of family and friends who were thinking and praying for me yesterday. Thanks! Marathons are their own beast. They bring out something in us few other experiences can. We learn things about us. My last time it was all about conquering my physical limitations. Mind over body. This time it is realizing, I do not always have control over my body. As hard as I willed it to go...my body wouldn't move faster. Both of these lessons are ones to draw upon in times of struggle. I am also thankful to my Heavenly Father. My prayers supplicated him during those difficult times as well.


EmJay said...

I'm so proud of you, Rebecca. I wish I could have raised my arms to the crowd down the home stretch. I wish we could have run the last two miles together - our paces were identical :) I'm excited to run Boston with you... for fun! I was talking to Jon about it today and thought, an 8-8:20 pace will be a piece of cake next time. I really want to be able to take the whole experience in and enjoy it. I hope your feet are doing better.

Brittney said...

I feel bad that you struggled so much w/ this race, but I'm still so impressed that you were able to do it! And you are blessed to have such a wonderful family supporting you. :) Hope you're feeling better!

Jessica said...

I remember in a post a few weeks back you took the kids running around the park and spoke to them about perseverance and dedication. I can think of no better example then for them to see you accomplish this marathon with ailments, frustration and disappointment. You are a shining example for them as a mother and I am so proud of you!

Sara said...

Although your race didn't go perfectly I still think you got an amazing time. 3:27 is such a great time. I know being there in Utah with all those great marathoners it doesn't feel that fast...but it is. I think my fastest marathon was only 3:24 and that was my last in Arizona. I was trying to break 3:20 but it was 29F at the start. Sometimes things just don't work out like we planned. But in the end we do learn so much about ourselves. I look forward to hearing more about your future successes. I am truly impressed by how fast you have gotten over the years. It takes most people much longer to get where you are. You should feel so proud! Congratulations Becca!

Ipo said...

Life lessons learned running a marathon...who would've thunk it? While I'm reading this post, I can't help but cheering for you! You are truly an inspiration. Thanks for sharing this experience.

And...I have to say, I started using whole grains today. I'm starting out pretty simple. I'm even using natural the sweeteners that you mentioned before. I made a pizza (vegetarian, even...wow), some bread, and a fun dessert. I'm excited to finally make the change! I'm going to review your recipes and tips because I need help. Thank you for inspiring me.